The capital and largest city in Newfoundland, St John's was discovered by John Cabot, according to tradition, on the Feast of St John the Baptist (June 24) in 1497. It was settled in the 1500's and is one of the oldest continuously occupied cities in North America.
St John's is on the eastern shore of Newfoundland, about 5 miles from Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America. Two hills, Signal Hill and Southside Hill, guard the harbor's entrance, which is 1400 feet wide at this point. Memorial University, the only university in the province, is located in St John's. This is the final eastern terminus for the Transcanada Highway.