Niles, incorporated in 1850, is located in northeastern Illinois in north central Cook County between Park Ridge and Morton Grove. The town's name is believed to have been borrowed from a Washington, D.C. newspaper of the day--the Niles Register. In addition to the initial German immigration, settlers from Bohemia, England and Poland began their stays in the area. In 1899, the town transitioned into "Village" status. In 1932, a half-size replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa was constructed becoming the city's symbol and today draws visitors from all parts of the world. In 1991, the two towns officially became "sister cities".