Woodcutter's employed by John Sutter were the first established settlers of Amador. On a site between present day Amador City and Sutter Creek, they established a base camp as early as 1842. After the discovery of gold, the foothills were scoured by 49ers who established many temporary camps. In 1854, one of these camps, Sutter Creek, was established as an incorporated town. In 1913, Sutter Creek incorporated as a City.
Sutter Creek is located in Amador just southeast of Sacramento between Sacramento and Jackson along Highway 16 near the Pardee and Camanche reservoirs.