Nevada City is among the most historic of California Gold Rush towns, attracting visitors from far and wide. Here guests will find quality restaurants, comfortable lodging, live theatre and a variety of fine shops, boutiques, galleries, museums and wineries.
Nevada City developed along the banks of Deer Creek in 1849. The town was first known as Deer Creek Dry Diggings and later as Caldwell's Upper Store. Civic leaders named the town Nevada, Spanish for "snow covered," in 1850 and the next year the newly incorporated city became the Nevada County seat. The town's name was later changed to Nevada City after its title was borrowed by the state to the east.